News Flash Home
The original item was published from 11/24/2021 3:18:08 PM to 3/2/2022 12:00:11 AM.
2022 - Home - Carousel Template
Posted on: November 24, 2021
[ARCHIVED] Preventing Frozen Pipes
Before winter sets in:
- Repair broken windows, doors & walls.
- Tightly close doors and windows to the outside.
- Insulate outside walls.
- Insulate your pipes and meters. Consult your local plumbing or hardware store about proper materials.
- Seal all leaks in crawl spaces and basements.
- Turn off water to outside faucets.
- Be prepared in case of frozen pipes. Store enough drinking water: one gallon per person, per day for at least three days.
If a pipe freezes:
- Completely open the cold-water faucet closest to the pipe. (Relieves pressure and reduces the chance of breakage).
- If you decide to thaw the pipe yourself, use a hair dryer, NOT a blow torch.
- If in doubt, call a registered plumber for help.