Tour Stop 9 - Simmons Harth Gantt House, Gantt Street
The Simmons Harth Gantt House was built around 1830 by Dr. Thomas Simmons. It is one of the town's oldest residences and, architecturally, it is a later Federal style structure. Although Lexington grew slowly at first, doctors and merchants were soon moving to the town including Dr. Simmons from the lowcountry. According to legend, Simmons died in 1853 from eating too much ice cream. After the Civil War, Simmons' widow Mary became postmistress. Dr. and Mrs. Simmons' daughter Mary Harth was soon appointed postmistress in 1868 and served until 1895. During her term, the town's post office was housed in a small wooden structure then located on this property. That building is now located on the grounds of the Lexington County Museum. Mrs. Harth was also instrumental in the establishment of the Lexington Confederate Soldiers Monument, visible on the east side of tour stop #1, the old courthouse.