Tour Stop 8 - Stop 8: Nicholson Davis Frawley Law Office 140 East Main Stret
This site, now home to a law firm, was the former location of the second, third, fourth and fifth county courthouses. The original courthouse location before Lexington was founded in 1820 was in a town called Granby, located on the Congaree River just south of modern day Cayce. Due to flooding and the desire to have a more centrally located courthouse, the state decided to move the courthouse by purchasing land from Granny Corley. The first courthouse located in what was then called Lexington Courthouse was a wooden structure soon replaced by a Robert Mills-inspired courthouse that was burned by Sherman's army when they came through the area during the civil war. The third courthouse was a wooden structure replaced by a brick structure in 1882. That structure was used as the county courthouse until the completion of the building across the street. The 1882 courthouse was razed in 1957.