Tour Stop 6 - St. Stephens Lutheran Church 119 North Church Street
St. Stephen's Lutheran Church is a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America. Although the current structure was completed in 1958, the church itself is the oldest church in the town of Lexington dating to 1830. That structure was burned in 1865 and the one that replaced it was burned in 1897. The church was rebuilt and stood until the present building was completed. Lutherans have played a major part in the history of Lexington. Lexington County was heavily settled by Germans and Swiss Germans in the 18th century. Many of these settlers were either Lutheran or Reformed. Due to the sizeable amount of Lutherans, Lexington was chosen as the site of the Southern Lutheran Seminary in 1832 where it remained until moving to Newberry, SC in 1855.