Now home to Carpet One, this site was previously a furniture store and undertaking business, owned by Scott Hendrix. His business was previously located across the street but moved after the fire destroyed that building. It later became a Chevrolet dealership and a feed and seed store. The building across West Main Street is the Caughman building, one of the few buildings to survive the 1916 fire most likely due to its high walls and brick construction. A wooden structure, which housed dry goods and shoe store occupied the lot but burned in 1913. It was replaced by the current structure, built by Simon Caughman and Hampton Kaminer. Until the 1920s, a well was located near this corner in the middle of the street along with an oil lamp. The well was filled and covered when Lexington's Main Street became part of US Highway 1 and was paved. To keep up with traveler's, filling stations were constructed to provide fuel and other services. The building on the northeast corner of Church and Main, now the Needler, was a former gas station. You can still see the P for Pure Gas on the chimney facing Church Street.