Lexington's Main Street was devastated by several fires throughout the late 19th and early 20th centuries due to buildings being constructed of wood. The March 28, 1916 fire, the most destructive since the Civil War, burned most of the buildings on Main Street between Church Street and what is now South Lake Drive. Before the fire, this was the site of Godfrey Harmon's home and business. Harmon was the publisher of the Lexington Dispatch and owner of a general store. After the fire, Harmon's son Rice built the structure you are now in front of, which housed a drugstore. Many of the other buildings on the south side of Main Street (except the jail) within the stretch between Church St. and South Lake Dr. were constructed in the late teens and twenties after the fire. These buildings would later house furniture stores, hardware stores, grocers and a movie theater, which stood at 105 East Main Street. Downtown, particularly Main Street continued to thrive after the fires and is the heart of the community.