This property is longstanding in public service. On this site stood the county jail from the town of Lexington's founding in 1820 to the construction of this building in the late 1930s. The current structure, dedicated in 1940 is now home to the county's magistrate court and other county functions. This building was designed by a local architect named J. Carroll Johnson and constructed by T.E. Moore and J.R. Holcombe. The construction of this courthouse was funded jointly by the County and the Public Works Administration, an agency established by President Franklin Roosevelt's New Deal. This plot was part of the two acres Barbara Derrick Drafts Corley, affectionately referred to as "Granny," sold to the state in 1820 to form the new county seat. Her deceased husband Laurance had owned most of what became the town of Lexington.